Search This Blog

Sandra Smith Reeves

Sandra Lea Smith
"Sassa"
"My eyes make pictures when they are shut."
Basketball 1,2,3,4
Band 1,2,3
Tri-Hi-Y 1,3,4
FHA 1,2,3,4
Beta Club 1,2,3,4
Class Officer 2, Debate 3
Commercial 4, Cheerleader 4
Girls' State 3, 4-H Club 2,3

My fifty years are, in part, as follows: I attended UGA from Fall Quarter 1955 through Fall 1956. Bill Reeves (R. W.) graduated from Ga. Tech in 1956 and we married on February 10, 1957. We have three children – Bill (W. E.)(47), Becky (43) and Scott (38) - and three grandchildren –Mary Grace and Liza Marie Alley (10 and 5 respectively) and Olivia Reeves (2). Bill and I first lived in Columbus, GA, -a very hot 6 months while he was in the Army. Then we moved to Clarkesville, GA, where Bill joined the family hardware business. We lived in Clarkesville for 20 years (had three children, went to school and taught school). When Bill and his brothers sold the business, we moved to Stone Mountain for about 12 years then to Alpharetta for 10 more years before we both retired from careers in education. We now live on Lake Seed in Rabun County. Many of you visited Mother and Daddy’s cabin when we were in high school. The cabin is gone along with its charm, mice and other critters, but the scenery is still beautiful and we would love to have you visit us sometime. For me, life’s significant events somehow brought about a change of my focus at the time. For example, when Bill and I married, I had to think not just of me, but of us and of Bill. I consider myself blessed in that there was a “me” considered, and not just Bill and us. Then the children came along and there was another change in focus. I eventually graduated from college and started a career in education which brought about still another change. Throughout life there has continued to be a place for me and my career and interests along with Bill and the children. While I was working, I continued my studies in graduate school, and received several graduate degrees from UGA. After we moved to Stone Mountain I earned a PhD in Statistics and Research from the School of Education at Georgia State University. We had very interesting individual careers; however, the closeness of our family, the warm and caring relationships with our friends and extended families, and the love and support of our church are now the most significant aspects of our lives.

No comments: